- Johns MW. A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep 1991; 50-55.
- Johns MW. Daytime sleepiness, snoring, and obstructive sleep apnea. The Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Chest 1993; 103:30-36.
- Johns MW. Rethinking the assessment of sleepiness. Sleep Med Rev 1998; 2:3-15.
- Johns MW. Sleep propensity varies with behaviour and the situation in which it is measured: the concept of somnificity. J Sleep Res 2002, 11:61-67.
- Johns MW. Sleepiness in different situations measured by the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep 1994; 17:703-710.
- Johns MW. Reliability and factor analysis of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Sleep 1992; 15:376-381.
- Chervin RD, Pickett R, Guilleminault C. Comparison of Epworth Sleepiness Scale and Multiple Sleep Latency Test results. Sleep Research 1995; 24:466.
- Johns MW. Sensitivity and specificity of the multiple sleep latency test (MSLT), the maintenance of wakefulness test and the Epworth sleepiness scale: Failure of the MSLT as a gold standard. J Sleep Res 2000; 9:5-11.
- Smolley LA, Ivey C, Farkas M, Faucette E, Murphy S. Epworth Sleepiness Scale is useful for monitoring daytime sleepiness. Sleep Research 1993; 22:389.
- Chen SY, Clift JS, Dunn G, Parkes JD. Treatment in the narcoleptic syndrome: self-assessment of the action of dexamphetamine and clomipramine. J Sleep Research 1995; 4:113-118.
- Manni R, Politini L, Ratti MT, Tartara A. Sleepiness in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and simple snoring evaluated by the Epworth Sleepiness Scale. J Sleep Res 1999;8,319-320
- Hardinge FM, Pitson DJ, Stradling JR. Use of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale to demonstrate response to treatment with nasal continuous positive airways pressure in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Respiratory Medicine 1995; 89:617-620.
- Johns MW, Hocking B. Daytime sleepiness and sleep habits of Australian workers. Sleep 1997: 844-949.
For other references. See also www.mwjohns.com